Benjamin Mendy in court

 Benjamin Mendy in court

Benjamin Mendy in court

Benjamin Mendy in court

Benjamin Mendy in court earlier today following his rape case. Man City star Benjamin Mendy, 27, is remanded in custody after being accused of raping a woman while he was on bail this month for four other sex offences – as court hears one alleged victim was under 18.

A Premier League footballer was today remanded in custody after facing charges of sexual attacks on two women and one teenage girl at his £5million home.

Benjamin Mendy of Manchester City has been charged with four counts of rape – the latest of which allegedly happened earlier this week – and one sexual assault.

Benjamin Mendy in court

Benjamin mendy appear before court
Benjamin mendy plays for man city

Mendy, 27, who moved to the reigning champions for £52million four years ago, is accused of committing the fourth rape while on bail for the other four offences.

The French defender, who was suspended by Manchester City this week after being charged, appeared at Chester Magistrates’ Court today to face the allegations.

Mendy, of Prestbury, Cheshire, wearing a red Balenciaga hoodie and black jogging bottoms, stood in the dock with his arms folded as the charges were put to him. He spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth and entered no pleas.

The footballer, who had arrived at court in a prison van under a police escort, faces five charges relating to three alleged complainants, one of whom is aged under 18.

Police said yesterday that all three complainants were aged over 16. Proceedings at the court today were relayed back to the France international via an interpreter.

Benjamin Mendy in court

Benjamin mendy in police van
Banjamin mendy in police van arrives

Mendy earns £90,000 a week and lives in a £5million mansion in Prestbury, an upmarket village near Manchester popular with fellow players.

He is charged with three counts of rape in October 2020 at his home in Prestbury, and the sexual assault of a woman at his home in early January this year.

Mendy is also charged with the rape of a woman this month, also at his home.

A charge of breaking bail conditions was on the court list but withdrawn in court. It had been alleged he breached conditions in August, after being released on July 26.

Fourteen reporters were in court for the hearing, which was delayed for the arrival of the French interpreter.

District Judge Jack McGarva sent the case to Chester Crown Court where Mendy is due to appear on September 10.

Mendy showed no emotion as he was taken from the court accompanied by two dock officers at the end of the hearing, which lasted about an hour.

He has been remanded into custody at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool, and was taken away in a prison van as photographers took pictures of him through the windows.

Earlier, Mendy arrived at Chester Magistrates’ Court in a different GeoAmey prison vehicle. The DAF van was given an escort by a Peugeot 308 police car before driving into the court building through an open red shutter door, which was then closed.

Sportsmail revealed in November that a Premier League star had been arrested on suspicion of rape, but was unable to reveal his identity for legal reasons.

Yesterday, a spokesman for Cheshire Constabulary said the Crown Prosecution Service had authorised the force to charge Mendy in connection with the alleged sex attacks, which involve three female complainants over the age of 16.

The spokesman said: ‘Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

‘The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.

Benjamin Mendy in court

benjamin mendy legal aid
Mendy legal team

‘Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates’ Court on Friday 27 August.’

He added: ‘Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.

‘It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings.’

Mendy was part of France’s World Cup winning squad in 2018, but did not play in the final. He has made 75 appearances for Man City since signing from Monaco in 2017.

He played in Man City’s first two games this season but was on the bench for last weekend’s league win over Norwich City.

READ MORE: No striker, no problem Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola

A Man City spokesman said: ‘Manchester City can confirm that, following his being charged by police, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

‘The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.’

Related post

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *